Avanos is located 18 kilometres from Nevsehir in Turkey and rests on the banks of the longest river in Turkey, the Kizlirmak, the Red River. The name of the Red River comes from the large amounts of clay deposits, which have been used for centuries in the town for pottery. The pottery trade in Avanos dates back to the Hittites and you can still visit Avanos now and view the workshops in action. Avanos can also be used as a base for visiting the Cappadocia region, for rafting and horse riding. There are also a few interesting churches worth visiting, including; Cavusin Church, with tunnel vaults, a high nave and 3 apses dating back to 964 – 965 AD and the Gulludere Church, located at the top of a steep slope, dating back from the 6th or 7th century.
Sarihan, also known as the Yellow Caravanserai was built in 1249. It has an elaborate gateway, with a small mosque above it and is one of the best examples of Sejuk Caravanserais left. Sarihan underwent restoration in the 1980s and now serves as a cultural centre, with Whirling Dervish performances.